Hmmm...things have got to change.
Here are a few hints I picked up on how to save money but still enjoy yourself in Sydney (doing some different activities...no ho-hum)- because there's no point killing yourself to save for a house if you aren't happy!
- The Australasian College of Natural Therapies has 1 hr massages for $35 ! I have personally been there and have then taken friends who have all raved about it. The massages are done by students but they are hands-down the best massages any of us have EVER received! They do a lot of other treatments as well, so check it out!
- Campbelltown's Dumaresq Street Cinemas has adult movie tickets for $6 ! Need I say more?
- But if you want to enhance your movie experience you could visit Govindas in Darlinghurst. Recline on lounges in their cinema for only $13.90 ! Sure beats the expensive luxury alternatives in the bigger cinemas! If you are eating out, the dinner/movie package is $19.80 for a vegetarian buffet and another $10 for the movie! Its rumoured to be the best vegetarian food in Sydney!
- Coogee's McIvers sea baths are 120 years old in a seculed spot for women and children only. Throw 20 cents into a buckets and enjoy.
- Watch or learn to ring the bells at St Mary's Cathedral Sydney
- Sydney's Laneways By George is still running until February 2010. Artists have enlivened the City's laneways and forgotten spaces with thought provoking and engaging installations. Its free, so check out the website for maps and information.
- Check out the Sydney Observatory for some night time telescope viewing for only $15 !
- The Arthouse Hotel in Sydney runs Life Drawing sessions most Mondays of the year for $3 per person. Get in early for a good spot and bring your own sketch pad and pencils. Its held in the Dome which has its own bar so you can enjoy a drink or bar snacks at the same time!
- Hire a bicycle in Centennial Park from $15 !
- Visit the Museum of Human Disease at the University of New South Wales on weekdays. Not for the faint hearted. Only $10 per person.
- When was the last time you built a sand castle? Its free!
- Towards the end of every year, Sculpture By The Sea graces the Bondi to Tamarama coastal walk. Its free!
- Taking shopping by storm - Swap My Style events are the cheap way to get the clothes and brands you want! Various events around Sydney offer entry and a glass of bubbly for around $50. You bring the clothes you don't want and recieve credits which you put towards items that you want! Cheaper than buying new!